Chinese New Year isn’t complete without some pineapple tarts.
Pineapple Tarts (凤梨挞，黄梨饼）
This is basically a two-step process: making the pineapple jam and the dough.
Servings: 36 cookies
- 1 Pineapple
- 50 g Sugar Adjust based on sweetness of pineapple
- 250 g Flour
- 125 g Butter
- 25 g Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- Peel the pineapple, remove the "eyes"
- Cut the pineapple into pieces, keep the core.Blend it with a mixer.
- Extract pulp by pouring the blended pineapple on a sieve.
- Cook over medium-low heat. Stir every 5 minutes or so and more frequently towards the end to prevent burning.Add in the sugar half way into cooking (about 30 min).It is done when it is condensed enough that you can roll it into balls.
- Cool the jam
- Mix butter and sugar till fluffy
- Sieve in flour and combine. It will be crumbly but you will be able to compact it into a ball
- Chill for 30 min
- Roll pineapple jam into 1cm balls
- Roll dough into 5mm sheet
- Cut using cookie cutter
- Bake at 175C for 12min